- In which platform the Vembu BDR Server can be installed?
You can install Vembu BDR Suite in a physical/virtual machine with Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) operating system.
Also, you can deploy the Vembu BDR Suite as a VMware or Hyper-V Virtual Appliance.
- Can backups be configured directly from the BDR backup server or do I need to install separate proxy?
Backup for VMware VMs, Hyper-V VMs, Physical Windows Servers & Workstations can be configured directly configured from the backup server console without the need to install any agents. There is also an option to perform a backup through Vembu clients.
File and Application level backup can be configured through Vembu NetworkBackup Agent – available for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- How long will it take to backup my data?
The time taken to backup the data depends on various factors such as the size of the data, network transfer rate, read and write speed of the hardware, etc. Refer the sizing guide for more information.
- Is the data in backup storage repository compressed and deduplicated?
Yes, the backup data in the storage repository are compressed and deduplicated.
- How safe are the data with the Vembu BDR Server?
The backup data are encrypted during transfer and at storage with AES-256 bit encryption algorithm.
- Can I set my own encryption password for the backup jobs?
Vembu allows you to set your own encryption password for the backups jobs or you can use the system generated password.
- Can I scale-out storage repository of the Vembu BDR backup server?
Yes, based on your requirement you can scale-out the storage repository of your BDR Backup Server at any time.
- What happens if I delete .SGCF file from backup storage repository?
The backup data are stored in the form of chunks with the extension *.SGCF in the backup storage repository. If any of these files got deleted, the backup data cannot be recovered and you will face an issue during restoration.
- What are the storage targets supported by Vembu BDR backup server?
Vembu supports different storage media such as Local drives, NAS (NFS and CIFS) and SAN (iSCSI and FC).
- Does Vembu support archiving the data to the tape library?
Yes, Vembu provides an option to archive your backup data to tape libraries and also supports data restore from tapes.
- What is persistent Boot Changes?
All the changes made during the Quick VM recovery is stored in the storage repository as persistent boot changes. While performing permanent recovery you can include these changes if required.
- Can I perform cross-platform recovery?
Yes. Vembu supports cross-platform migrations like V2P, P2V, and cross-hypervisor migration V2V.
- How will I recover individual application items from a backup?
Using Vembu Universal Explorer free tool, you will able to restore the individual application items of Microsoft Exchange, SQL, SharePoint and Active Directory from the Image-based backups.
- What is the difference between the free and paid edition of Vembu BDR Suite?
The Free Edition of Vembu BDR Suite contains the mandate features which ensures data protection for both the physical and virtual environments with certain limitations.
You must opt for a licensed edition if you are looking for Business continuity features. For more details, check out the Edition comparison
Vembu BDR Backup Server FAQ Balaji