- What is Vembu BDR Essentials?
Vembu BDR Essentials is an exclusive license package for businesses having smaller backup requirements of up to 6 CPU Sockets or 50 VMs.
- How is Vembu BDR Essentials licensed?
Vembu BDR Essentials is applicable only for VMs running on VMware and Hyper-V hosts. The licenses can be availed at the CPU Socket level or VM level.
- What are the eligibilities to avail Vembu BDR Essentials?
Vembu BDR Essentials is applicable only for the businesses having requirements to backup upto 50 VMs or 6 CPU sockets of VMware or Hyper-V hosts.
- What if my requirement exceeds 6 CPU sockets?
If your requirement exceeds 6 CPU sockets, then you need to purchase the license of Vembu BDR Suite at list price.
- Are there any restrictions to the number of cores on the sockets?
No, there is no restriction based on the number of cores in the CPU.
- For socket-based licensing, are there any limits on the number of virtual machines that can be protected on that host?
No, there are no such limits. The socket license unlocks the capability of protecting unlimited number of virtual machines from that particular host.
- What are the licensing models available for Vembu BDR Essentials?
Licenses for Vembu BDR Essentials is available in two models, Subscription and Perpetual. Subscription licenses are available in 1, 2, 3 and 5 years model and the perpetual licenses is valid for 10 years from the date of purchase.
- For subscription licensing model, what level of support do I get with Vembu BDR Essentials?
Subscription licensing model includes 24 x 7 standard technical support for the subscribed period.
- For perpetual licensing model, what is the Annual Maintenance Cost (AMC) for Vembu BDR Essentials?
AMC for first year is free and from the second year, it is 20% of the license cost of Vembu BDR Essentials and it can be availed for 1, 2 or 3 years.
- How does the socket based licensing work?
The licensing is based on the total number of occupied sockets in the host machines (hypervisor) of the virtual environment that is being protected. It is not based on the number of CPU sockets on the machine where Vembu BDR Server is installed.
- I have already purchased Vembu BDR Essentials for 6 CPU sockets. Now, if i want to add additional sockets, how does the licensing work in that case?
If you have already purchased Vembu BDR Essentials for 6 CPU sockets and if you want to add additional CPU sockets later, then you need to upgrade the older licenses along with new purchase.
- I don’t want to protect my entire virtual environment. Can I specifically select the VMware or Hyper-V hosts for protection?
Yes, you can specifically select the host that needs to be protected. Backups will only work for the licensed sockets. If VMs move from licensed host to unlicensed host, then Vembu will
no longer be able to back up those VMs. Therefore, the best practice is to license all the sockets where a VM could possibly run.
Vembu BDR Essentials FAQ Balaji