- What can I protect with the free edition of Vembu BDR Suite?
You can backup VMs running on VMware ESXi/vCenter, Microsoft Hyper-V, Physical Windows Servers and Workstations.
- Are there any limitations to the number of machines that I can protect with the free edition?
Vembu BDR Suite – Free Edition includes the following functionalities:
VMware & Hyper-V – Backup Unlimited VMs with Standard Edition features for 10 VMs and limited features for all other VMs
Windows Server – Backup Unlimited Windows Server with limited features
Workstation (Windows & Mac) – Backup up to 10 Workstations with no feature restrictions. You can backup the Windows machine at image/file-level and Mac machine at file-level
AWS – Backup up to 10 EC2 instances with no feature restrictions
Office 365 – Backup up to 10 users with no feature restrictions
G Suite – Backup up to 10 users with no feature restrictions
- What is the difference between the free and paid edition of Vembu BDR Suite?
Vembu Free Edition ensures data protection for both the physical and virtual environments, but there are a few feature limitations when compared with paid edition.
For details, check this comparison document
- What do I do if I want to upgrade from free edition?
You can simply purchase the new license and apply it to the required server through the Vembu Portal to upgrade from free edition to Standard/Enterprise edition. The server will be automatically converted to the respective edition based on the license you’ve purchased.
- What level of support is available for the free edition?
You can refer the Knowlege base articles and Technical documents for basic troubleshooting steps and best practices.
Further, if you require any assistance you can post your queries/issues in Vembu Community Forum. One of our product experts will assist you on the same.
If you would like to get “Standard Support” for Vembu Free Products, you need to pay a yearly support fee.
- If I opt for the free edition, will my data be compressed and encrypted?
Yes, backup data is always compressed, encrypted and deduplicated with the BDR Suite, irrespective of the chosen edition.
- Once the trial period is over, do I have to re-install the software to activate the free edition?
No, re-installation is not required. You have to register with the Vembu Portal by following these steps to register yourself as a Free edition user. Once registered, the backups will continue as configured.
Vembu Free Edition FAQ Balaji