- What versions of Hyper-V Server are supported by Vembu?
Vembu supports backup of Hyper-V Server versions from Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 to Microsoft Windows 2016.
- Do I have to install an agent inside each VMs under my Hyper-V host to configure the backups?
No, Vembu Hyper-V Backup is an agentless backup solution. You do not have to install an agent inside each of the virtual machines in order to backup them.
- What is Vembu Integration Service?
It is an agent pushed from the Vembu BDR Server to the Hyper-V host for backing up the Hyper-V VMs and to perform Changed Block Tracking(CBT).
- Does Vembu Hyper-V Backup support Non-Windows OS VMs?
Yes, Vembu VMBackup for Hyper-V supports backup of Non-Windows OS like Linux, Mac and others OSes, which are supported by Hyper-V.
- Does Vembu VMBackup support backing up VMs through Stand-alone Hyper-V host?
Yes, Vembu VMBackup supports backup and restore of VMs through Stand-alone Hyper-V host.
- Does Vembu VMBackup support backing up of Hyper-V VMs on SMB host?
Yes. With Vembu VMBackup you can backup and restore virtual machines (VM) of Hyper-V Server hosted on SMB (Server Message Block Protocol) shares.
- Does Vembu support Hyper-V Backup of VMs running on Microsoft Hyper-V Server in Cluster Shared Volume(CSV) environment?
Yes. Vembu Hyper-V supports backup of the Hyper-V host that uses Clustered Shared Volume.
- How many VMs I can backup using the free edition?
Vembu VMBackup free edition comes with two options
Full-Featured Free edition – Limited to 3 VMs.
Limited feature Free edition – Unlimited VMs.
- Is Vembu provide backup solution for Hyper-V Cluster Server?
Vembu VMBackup for Hyper-V currently do not support backup of Hyper-V cluster, but this feature will be provided from the next major release of Vembu VMBackup.
- What is the least RPO and RTO provided by Vembu VMBackup for Hyper-V VMs?
Vembu offers near Continuous Data Protection(CDP) for Hyper-V VMs and assures 15 mins of RPO by allowing you to run your backups every 15 mins. Also, Vembu provides RTO of less than 15 mins through its various recovery options.
- How many VMs can be backed up from a single Hyper-V Server?
You can backup any number of VMs from a single Hyper-V server using Vembu VMBackup.
- Does the backup and recovery of applications and databases are supported along with Hyper-V VMs?
Yes, Vembu Hyper-V VM level backup is an application-aware backup. It ensure the consistency of the Microsoft AD, SQL, SharePoint and Exchange which are running inside the VMs and performs log truncation based on the backup configuration. With Vembu’s free granular recovery tool, Vembu Universal Explorer, one can recover the individual application items from the Hyper-V VM backup.
- Does the granular recovery of files/folders are supported?
Yes. The individual files/folders from the backed up VMs can be restored granularly using File Level Recovery.
- Should I turn off or shutdown the Virtual machines in Hyper-V manager to take a backup?
You don’t need to shutdown the Hyper-V VMs for Backup, VMs can be backed up even in their running state.
- Can I restore my backed up Hyper-V VM to another Hyper-V host or another Hypervisor?
Yes, the backed up VMs from one Hyper-V Server can be restored to another Hyper-V Server and also to other Hypervisors like VMware or KVM.
- Can Vembu Backup Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines with RDM and Passthrough disks?
Agentless VMware backup will skip the RDM and Passthrough disks during backup. If you would like to backup the VMs having RDM and Passthrough disks, install Vembu ImageBackup on the VM and then backup the entire VM.
- Can I exclude VM disks from backup jobs?
Yes. Vembu provides VM/Disk Exclusion option to exclude VMs/Disks from the backup job configuration.
- Is the data transferred during Backup and Restore process of Vembu secure?
Yes. Vembu uses AES 256-bit encryption algorithm to encrypt all the data transferred during backup/restore operations.
- How the licenses will be charged for Vembu Hyper-V Backup?
Vembu licensing based on the number of CPU-Sockets(physical cores) in the machine where Hyper-V role is enabled and supports backup of unlimited VMs. Also, VM level license is available.
Hyper-V Backup FAQ Balaji