The explosion of data and its increased vulnerability resulted in the cybersphere to demand attention and meticulous effort from every organization be it either a small-midsize-or-enterprise class, to comply with the rules and regulations that govern data protection.
Policymakers all over the world are working towards enhancing existing data security compliance requirements, implementing new legal frameworks and defining new data security regulations to respond to ever-rising internal and external data threats.
How Vembu helps businesses become Data Compliant?
Vembu understands the significance of data compliance standards and has sketched its product features in a manner that all of it offers stringent security throughout the data backup and restore process.
Let’s understand how Vembu does it:
- According to Vembu, all the backup data are secured by storing in file-chunks thus making them unreadable by threats and hackers
- The End-to-End encryption with AES-256 military-grade encryption algorithm feature of Vembu, allows the organizations to securely transfer their backup data over the network, thus aligning with the regulatory compliance policies
- The backup-level encryption feature of Vembu enables the user to protect the backup data with customized or system generated passwords. This improved security feature will allow only an authorized person to access the backup job while access to others will be denied. It is necessary to enter the appropriate password while restoring the backups
- Additionally, Vembu OffsiteDR allows the businesses to replicate the backup data from their primary server to their own data center located elsewhere that has a Vembu OffsiteDR installed. The replicated data can be restored directly from the offsite DR during any kind of data loss- from server corruption or crash to disaster. This makes it possible to rebuild the entire infrastructure in minimal time
- Data replicated to OffsiteDR/ CloudDR is highly secure and reliable. With the superior AES 256 bit military-grade encryption, data is secured during replication and also at rest. In CloudDR the data is stored in Vembu Cloud(hosted in AWS) with the same encryption algorithm, giving IT managers the assurance that data sent out of the premise is not vulnerable
Data Integrity Check:
Vembu’s three-tier backup verification comprises the following:
- Firstly, to verify the integrity of the backed up disks of virtual and physical machines through the ‘Mount Check’
- Secondly, ‘Boot check’ – to verify if the machine is all set to run operations and a snap of the booted VM using ‘Image verification Report’ is sent to the IT Administrators
- And finally, ‘Integrity Check’ that comes as a great rescue to verify the integrity of the backed up machines data using the Windows Check Disk Utility thus assuring near zero data loss
- Vembu enables the users to use any combination of storage devices such as NAS, SAN and directly attached storage as backup targets
- Vembu has its own patented file system dubbed as VembuHIVETM, which is a File System of File Systems with in-built version control, encryption, deduplication, and in-built error correction. Because of which Vembu is agnostic to any storage targets
- Vembu ensures the 3-2-1 backup rule – where 3 copies of your production data are stored in 2 different types of storage media and with 1 copy of the backup data stored in the offsite location
- Vembu supports archival of backup data to Tape storage devices or Object Oriented Storage for long term archival purposes
Data Retention Policies:
As a part of the auditory compliance, organizations need to archive data for a period of time to meet their future business requirements. The retention policies vary across organizations and Vembu provides the option to do so through two types of retention: Basic and Advanced retention.
- The basic retention will keep the daily merged recovery points as per the number of days you have configured for the retention. You can have up to 99 daily merged recovery points using the basic retention
- The advanced retention has three kinds of merge options within it and you can choose any combination of those three as per your wish namely daily merge, weekly merge and monthly merge respectively
Vembu BDR Suite is designed to help businesses to meet compliance requirements of Federal and International laws of most of the States. Vembu helps to comply with all those major regulations globally; There exist many regulations that Vembu adheres with, of which some are shown below :
- GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation is to protect the privacy of EU citizens and to create a harmonized data protection regulation throughout the continent. Businesses who fail to comply not only risk the heavy financial penalties imposed by the GDPR, but also the loyalty of customers
- SOx – Sarbanes-Oxley was enacted to protect shareholders and the general public from accounting errors and fraudulent practices in the enterprise. Among other provisions, the law sets rules on storing and retaining business records in IT systems
- HIPAA – Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act includes an administrative simplification section that mandates standardization of electronic health record systems and includes security mechanisms designed to protect data privacy and patient confidentiality
- ISO – International Standard Organisation is a type of certification where ISO27001 and the 27000 series altogether is a suite of standards that allow people to manage information security to ensure that any type of sensitive information is protected from a confidentiality, integrity and availability perspective
- FIPS 140-2 – The Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS 140-2 Act) focuses on requirements of cryptographic modules in regards to security. The act defines four levels of security which begins with basic security up to level 4 which covers the complete envelope of protection around the cryptographic module. A product solution which will perform cryptography should be validated against FIPS 140-2 act to ensure protection for your sensitive and unclassified data information
Vembu doing more than helping with Data Compliance is not an overstatement. While Business Continuity is a much-heard term all over organizations, the line of business executives would like to ensure that there is no gap in terms of policies set and the available infrastructure.
Products of Vembu are bundled with standards and intricate security policies, that are implemented to serve one common purpose – Data Security.
Thus, it is imperative that an organization needs to ensure that they have a backup vendor which not only does the routine backup and restore activities but also offer more than the standards established by regulatory authorities. That being said, Vembu exceeds the expectations, by being a solution that can help organizations to comply with the data laws that apply to them along with their internal data policies.