The backup server is the core of data assurance and on the off chance, if it is lost, organizations need to begin from ground zero. Vembu CloudDR lets you implement a solid cloud-based DR plan: having one copy of backup data in local and another in the cloud. This eliminates the process of setting up an expensive off-site infrastructure for disaster recovery purposes. Vembu CloudDR ties together your business continuity plan by replicating all your backup data from the local backup server to the Vembu Cloud, hosted in AWS.
Vembu Cloud DR gives foolproof protection to business-critical data by storing them on Cloud storage which ensures geo-redundant data security. The backup data can be restored anywhere, anytime from the Vembu CloudDR Server.
How to perform Cloud Replication with Vembu?
The following are the steps involved in replicating data to Vembu Cloud using Vembu Cloud DR.
Step 1: Registering Vembu CloudDR
To get started with Vembu CloudDR, users have to first get registered to Vembu Portal
Registering in Vembu Portal
- Go to portal.vembu.com and click on Sign up
- You will be required to provide the following details in order to create your account:
- Company Name
- First Name and Last Name
- Email ID
- Contact Number
- Country and State
Once done providing the requested details click Sign up to register.
A verification mail will be sent to the e-mail address that you have entered. Login to Vembu portal account with the registered email id and password.
Step 2: Download & Install Vembu BDR Suite
Step 3: Register your Vembu BDR Server with your Vembu Portal account. To register your server, go to Management -> Server Management -> Server Registration.
Step 4: Then, configure backups for your workloads (physical/virtual) to have the backup data in your premises. Check out this product tutorial videos to know about how to configure backups using Vembu BDR Suite.
Step 5: Then, Enable the Cloud DR option from the Vembu BDR Server. To enable the cloud DR option, go to Management -> Offsite Copy -> Configure
- Now, choose “Vembu CloudDR server”. As soon as the backup gets completed in your local server, the backup data will be instantly replicated to Vembu Cloud
- Also, there are options to set Window settings, Retention Settings, and Bandwidth Throttling
- Enabling window settings, lets you choose the start and end time, during which the replication process will not be performed. Further, you can also define whether its applicable on all days or only on weekdays
Enabling Retention settings, lets you configure retention for offsite backup copies. You will be able to set retention for the daily restore points and additional full backup.
Enabling Bandwidth throttling option, lets you limit network bandwidth used by replication. This helps in a balanced network usage in a work environment. You will have two options to choose from:
- Throttle bandwidth always- This option will keep the applied bandwidth limit always active
- Throttle bandwidth ‘Fromʼ – ‘Toʼ- This option allows you to specify a time frame during when the applied throttling will be active
- Specify the maximum throttle range in Kbps, Mbps, Gbps
In addition, a checkbox to disable throttling during weekends is provided; which can be enabled when required.
Once done with selecting the required configuration, click save.
Step 6: Recovering data from Vembu Cloud DR
- Login to your Vembu CloudDR account and navigate to Recovery
Vembu CloudDR offers two recovery options for image-level backups that are replicated to Vembu Cloud.
- File-level Recovery
Choosing file level recovery will instantly list all the files and folders. Select and restore only the required files/folders.
This Download recovery option is common for all the image-based backups (VMware, Hyper-V,
Disk Image). This allows you to download backup data in VMDK/VHD file format. Once the restore is completed, the data will be available in zip format. The user can download the zip file in any machine, anytime anywhere.
Step 7: Reviewing the reports
To view the reports go to Cloud DR -> Recovery. This page lists all the backup jobs that are configured from Vembu BDR Server to our Vembu Cloud Server. Here you can see the report option alongside every backup job configured. You can also receive these reports as notifications to your email by configuring the email settings.
Organizations will now be able to set up a robust, secure and cost-effective DR plan for their environment with Vembu CloudDR. Backup is important, but replication additionally plays a vital role.Like what you read? Rate us